- Tier: Tier 1: Positive Mental Health Promotion
- Type of intervention: Local community-led mental health interventions
- Strength of evidence: Level 3: Foundational and emerging evidence for program
- Geographic location: State-wide
The Blue EDGE (Educate, Develop, Grow, Empower) program aims to increase young people's resilience and wellbeing. The program runs for 16 sessions and uses exercise, workshops, peer support and community role models to improve student wellbeing. The program targets Year 7-9 students who have experienced challenges, disengagement and mental health concerns.
The sessions involve exercise, a shared meal and a workshop. Workshops focus on young people's wellbeing, building confidence and self-worth, tools to regulate emotions, connections and teamwork.
- Increased sense of empowerment
- Growth-mindset and increased knowledge of life skills, including motional self-regulation, empathy, and how to find support
- Improved attitude toward, trust in, and understanding of police/emergency services
|Blue Light Victoria
- Target population: Year 7-9 students who have experienced disadvantage or mental health challenges, are disengaged from school, have displayed an interest in personal development opportunities, and/or displayed leadership qualities.
- Program adaptability: Blue EDGE has been designed to be adaptable and can be modified depending on local need. Before commencement the Blue EDGE coordinator with work with schools to identify areas of greatest need so that sessions can be tailored accordingly. Whilst some session topics are fundamental to the program flexibility exists to choose a range of session topics/workshops that suit the local needs.
- Staffing: As a minimum, at least one teacher is required to participate in the program and aid in behaviour management. Other wellbeing and teaching staff are welcome to join the program and we recommend no more than three so that the students to adult ratio remains balanced. It is a wonderful opportunity for staff to engage with students in a completely different environment, where the opportunity to learn from each other is abundant.
- Training requirements: No training required. The only equipment to be provided by the school is a suitable space to run the program enabling for safe participation in the fitness session (e.g. gymnasium).
- Factors to consider: The program runs onsite before school (although can be delivered during class or after school). Sessions are 90 minutes in duration with 16 sessions in total delivered either twice weekly (over 8 weeks), or once per week over 16 weeks. The program is delivered to a cohort of 20 students, with a minimum requirement of 15 students.
- Australian context: This program has been developed and applied in Australia.
The total cost of the 16-session program is $10,436.80 (inc. GST).
The pricing quoted includes:
- a Blue EDGE T-shirt for each participant
- program equipment and materials.
Additional travel expenses may apply in the event that local facilitators are unable to be recruited.