- Tier: Tier 1: Positive Mental Health Promotion
- Type of intervention: Bullying prevention
- Strength of evidence: Level 2: Supported by expert opinion or evidence for practice
- Geographic location: Program is not available in Wimmera South West (South West Region), Mallee (North West Region) or Ovens Murray (North East).
Brainstorm Productions uses live theatre to engage, motivate and foster connections with students. The program stimulates discussion and learning around 3 key issues: bullying, cyber safety and wellbeing.
Each 50-minute performance is supported by a Q&A and Teacher Resource pack including discussion points, lesson plans mapped to the Victorian Curriculum and links to related resources. The program is designed to allow students to see a different performance each year.
Brainstorm Productions is endorsed by the eSafety Commissioner as a Trusted eSafety Provider. Programs are developed by teachers, creative professionals and a clinical psychologist, in consultation with staff and students.
- Improved ability to recognise and regulate emotions
- The ability to identify personal strengths and use these to achieve prosocial outcomes
- Improvements in help-seeking intentions and behaviours
- Improved ability to recognise and understand the perspectives, emotions and needs of others
- Greater engagement in behaviours that show respect for the perspectives, emotions and needs of others
- Improvements in prosocial skills, such as assertive communication, cooperation, conflict resolution and helping behaviours
- Target population: Performances are offered for Years P-6 and Years 7-11.
- Program adaptability: Classroom resources offer suggestions and notes to help teachers implement them in an inclusive way (e.g. adaptations for neurodiverse students or students from diverse cultural backgrounds).
- Staffing: No staff backfill is required. Staff must be present to supervise the 60 minute session. It is recommended that wellbeing staff be available to students during and after the performance.
- Training requirements: No pre-requisite trainings are required.
- Factors to consider: Maximum number of students per performance is 280 for primary schools and 250 for secondary schools.
- Australian context: The program has been developed and applied in Australia.
Brainstorm Productions is priced per student ($7.15 for primary and $8.80 for secondary inc. GST), with a minimum fee for each performance ($858 for primary and $968 for secondary inc. GST).
All other expenses (e.g. travel costs) are absorbed by the company and included in the base price.