- Tier 1: Positive Mental Health Promotion
- Tier 2: Early Intervention and Cohort Specific Support
- Type of intervention:
- Bullying prevention
- Support for diverse cohorts
- Strength of evidence: Registered professional
- Geographic location: State-wide
The Safe Schools program helps schools foster a safe environment that is supportive and inclusive of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and gender diverse, intersex, queer and questioning (LGBTIQ+) students.
The program recognises that creating a safe and inclusive environment is key to tackling bullying and harassment and preventing suicide and self-harm.
Schools choose from a range of evidence-based and age-appropriate information, resources and professional learning to help them prevent, and respond to, bullying and discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity or intersex status.
It is primarily a program for principals, teachers and school communities.
- Create a safe and inclusive school environment
- Prevent bullying, discrimination, self-harm and suicide for LGBTIQ+ students
|Department of Education
- Target population: School communities, including principals and teachers.
- Program adaptability: Schools have the discretion to use as many or as few of the resources, training materials, and other support that the program offers to help them deliver their commitment.
- Staffing: Backfilling is not required.
- Training requirements: Professional development and training for teachers forms part of the program.
- Australian experience: This program was created for the Australian education context.
- Item cost: Free
- Detailed cost: Free