The department is committed to supporting schools to manage the impact of COVID-19 and is seeking eligible applicants to work within our Victorian schools to provide short-term, casual support throughout 2023.
Schools across Victoria may elect to use this support to help with their daily operations through a number of roles including:
- face to face teaching (where specifically eligible)
- classroom and student support
- allied health (school nurses, psychologists, counsellors, etc.)
- administrative assistance
- support for school leaders in managing COVID-19 related matters.
Candidates for teaching roles may include:
- Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) registered teachers who are not currently practicing teachers
- casual relief teachers (CRTs)
- retired teachers
- final year pre-service teachers (PSTs).
Final year PSTs who are interested in taking up this opportunity are required to submit their Permission to Teach (PTT) application via VIT. Please see the link for guidance on how to apply for a PTT: Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).
It is recommended individuals obtain their PTT number from VIT prior to registering interest through Recruitment Online (ROL). This will enable the applicant to upload their PTT number at the time of application.
Candidates for other roles include:
- individuals with experience supporting students and teachers in classrooms
- individuals with administrative experience (in schools would be advantageous)
- individuals with Allied Health experience (must be registered with the relevant body as per discipline).
Successful individuals must hold a valid Working with Children Check or valid Victorian Institute of Teaching registration prior to starting employment.
Successful individuals for roles in schools will be employed on a casual basis as either casual education support or casual classroom teachers, as appropriate.
Register your interest and availability
In receipt of successful PTT, proceed to register your interest for short-term roles in Victorian government schools.
To be considered for this initiative please submit your application via ROL, Job Opportunities section of the department's Recruitment Online platform including a resume and select 'Support Your School Initiative' Opportunities.
Please ensure you have applied for your PTT via VIT, before registering via Job Opportunities. Application via ROL for PTT is no longer coordinated by Schools Recruitment Unit, this is now facilitated by VIT.
Schools looking for CRTs
This service is for schools to:
- contact the SYSI team upon exhaustion of the job opportunity pool; and
- where regular CRT agencies are unable to help with backfilling a teacher.
Schools should first use their standard approach to fill any short-term staff vacancies.
If those avenues are unsuccessful, then call or email the department once all other measures have been exhausted.
For final year PSTs: register your interest and availability
Final year PSTs (teaching degree students) can register interest in short-term COVID-19 relief teaching roles at Victorian government and/or Catholic sector schools.
To register your interest, complete the applicable process(es). If you are interested in roles in both sectors, register your interest through both processes.
Short-term roles for final year PSTs in Victorian government schools
If you are interested in short-term roles in Victorian government schools as part of this initiative, please register your interest by following the steps below:
- submit your application (including your CV)
- select 'Support Your School Initiative' via the 'Add your resume to ROL Job Opportunities' section of the department's Recruitment Online platform.
Short-term roles for final year PSTs in Victorian Catholic sector schools
If you are interested in short-term roles in Victorian Catholic sector schools as part of this initiative, please register your interest by completing the Victorian Catholic schools webform.
Further information – contact details
Further general information is available on casual employment through school councils.
For further information on short-term roles in Victorian government schools, please contact the Support Your School Initiative team on:
- phone: 1800 641 943 (follow directions to Recruitment Enquiries, then option 3; the phone line will be available 8 am to 5:30 pm, 5 days a week)
- email: email@example.com
For information on short-term roles for final year PSTs in Victorian Catholic sector schools please email firstname.lastname@example.org.