- Tier: Tier 2: Early Intervention Cohort Specific Support
- Type of intervention: Trauma informed programs
- Strength of evidence: Level 3: Foundational and emerging evidence for program
- Geographic location: State-wide
Trauma-informed CaRE is a school-based group program for vulnerable student groups. The program includes support for students, families and carers, and school staff and leadership to assist students impacted by trauma.
The program includes 6 sessions that provides information on communication, emotional regulation and the impact of adversity on mental health. The program provides techniques for traumatised and at-risk students and strategies to strengthen relationships between school staff, parents/carers and students.
- Improved student emotional literacy and the ability to identify and discuss emotions
- Improved student, parent/carer and staff communication skills
- Improved student social skills and reduce student conflict
- Increased attention and engagement in class
- Increased knowledge of school staff regarding specific emotional, mental health or behavioural concerns and student cohorts
- Staff having additional and improved strategies for supporting students experiencing emotional and/or behavioural dysregulation
- Build parent/carers ability to recognise, respond to and co-regulate difficult emotions
|Berry Street Victoria
*Some components can be delivered online, but face-to-face is preferred.
- Target population: Students, school staff and leadership, and parents, carers and families.
- Program adaptability: The program is able to be tailored to the needs and context of the school after consultation.
- Staffing: Schools can run staff or leadership group sessions between 3.30pm-6pm to avoid backfilling.
- Training requirements: A 1-hour consultation and a 1-hour preparation session is required prior to program commencement.
- Factors to consider: For staff sessions, there is a minimum of 4 participants and a maximum of 20. For student and parent sessions, there is a minimum of 4 participants and a maximum of 10. For student and parent, carer and family sessions at least 1 school staff member is required to attend.
- Australian context: This program has been developed and delivered in Australia.
The program is offered at a set cost of $10,912 (inc. GST) per program (students, staff or parent/carers program). Schools can purchase multiple programs from each stream based on the needs of their students and the need to involve staff and parents/carers.
Additional sessions, activities or consultations can be purchased at an hourly rate. Travel is charged at an hourly rate to and from the local Berry Street office to the school.