- Tuesday, 25 April 2023 at 11:00 pm
Professional learning to help you understand how design thinking can enrich classroom and leadership practice is now open for registration.
‘Design2Innovate: Introduction to design thinking’ will be delivered online and in Tech Schools across the state from May 2023. It will offer you the chance to learn more about how to use design thinking to teach the capabilities in the curriculum.
What is design thinking?
Design thinking is a structured process that guides collaboration between students to solve real-world problems. It involves trying out different ideas, prototyping solutions and making improvements until the solution works.
The goal is to create solutions that are both practical and helpful to the people who need them.
In the classroom, design thinking promotes student agency and helps students to develop 21st century skills.
Design2Innovate was developed by the department in partnership with the Victorian Academy of Teaching and Leadership, Tech Schools, teachers and international design thinking experts.
The Design2Innovate course includes hands-on, collaborative learning to develop your understanding of:
- the phases and operation of design thinking
- how to create curriculum units using design thinking
- how to introduce students to design thinking
- how design thinking can be implemented more broadly in your school.
In the course, you will produce a project, lesson or unit of work for the classroom which uses design thinking. You will then implement this in your classroom and showcase it to your course peers.
Who can attend?
Primary and secondary teachers across all subject areas are welcome to attend. The course will work best with at least 2 participants from each school, ideally a teacher in a leadership role, along with a classroom teacher.
Design2Innovate is delivered in person over 2 or 3 full-day sessions. You will be required to attend all sessions.
The course will be offered for free at different Tech Schools across Victoria.
Victorian government schools are eligible for reimbursement of casual relief teacher costs, which they can access through the Schools Targeted Funding Portal until Friday 30 June 2023.
- Monash Tech School: Wednesday 17 and Wednesday 24 May 2023
- Bendigo Tech School: Tuesday 6 June, Wednesday 26 July, Thursday 7 September 2023
- Banyule Nillumbik and Whittlesea Tech School: Thursday 8 June, Wednesday 14 June, Thursday 7 September 2023
- Gippsland Tech School: Monday 24 July, Monday 7 August, Monday 16 October 2023.
To register, visit the Arc website.
Find out more
For more information and contact details for each Tech School, refer to the Arc website.