- Tier: Tier 2: Early Intervention Cohort Specific Support
- Type of intervention: Trauma-informed programs
- Strength of evidence: Level 2: Supported by expert opinion or evidence for practice
- Geographic location: State-wide
The Making SPACE for Learning Program is a training program that aims to build the capacity of schools and teachers to meet the needs of young people who have experienced trauma and disadvantage.
The program develops teacher knowledge and confidence about trauma responsive principles and strategies in schools. The training considers how students' experiences of trauma impact on their ability to learn and explores trauma responsive classroom-based strategies.
- Increased teacher knowledge and confidence in the application of trauma responsive principles and strategies
- Improved student self-regulation
|Australian Childhood Foundation
- Target population: Primary and secondary teachers.
- Program adaptability: The program can be delivered as a generic workshop covering all school aged children or contextualised for specific cohorts in early years, primary or secondary settings. Program length can be modified to suit the school.
- Staffing: Backfilling may be required for staff to attend training.
- Training requirements: The recommended program length is two days (12 hours) which can be delivered as 2 full days, 4 half days or 6 x 2-hour sessions to meet the needs of the school. Delivery can be either face to face or online. The ideal delivery mode is face to face over two days, so that participants have a chance to embed the knowledge they acquire. Face to face delivery requires a COVID safe venue. Online participants require access to a laptop or tablet or similar equipment to access the online platform.
- Factors to consider: Ongoing implementation support is available, at an additional cost, to embed and integrate trauma responsive practice, in the form of coaching and mentoring, reflective practice and leadership support and additional training opportunities and group programs.
- Australian context: The program has been developed and applied in Australia.
Each full day (6 hours) face-to-face or online up to 40 participants: $3,300 (inc. GST). Each additional 10 participants: $1,000 (inc. GST). Half days and smaller sessions are priced accordingly.
Additional costs for travel outside of metro area apply for face-to-face delivery.