- Tier: Tier 2: Early Intervention and Cohort Specific Support
- Type of intervention: Support for diverse cohorts
- Strength of evidence: Level 3: Foundational and emerging evidence for program
- Geographic location: State-wide
Reverb is a program that addresses mental health in culturally diverse communities. The program is family focused, multicultural, and uses lived experience to address discrimination, build connection, and increase young people's confidence to seek support.
The program is delivered by staff from the Centre for Multicultural Youth and young people from multicultural backgrounds with lived experience of mental illness.
The program consults school staff to customise and provide individualised support for participating schools. The program includes one professional development workshop for school staff, three student workshops, one workshop for family members, workshop findings and support to school staff.
- Increase student and parent/community understanding of mental health and mental illness
- Increase young people's confidence to seek support
- Increase parent/community willingness to talk about mental health with young people in their lives
- Increase teacher knowledge of the complexities and stigma surrounding mental health in culturally diverse communities
|Centre for Multicultural Youth
Combination of face-to-face and online
*Student workshops and community conversations to be delivered face-to-face while teacher and staff professional development can be delivered in person or online. Increased online delivery for regional/remote Victoria to reduce costs.
- Target population: High school students from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Program adaptability: Workshops are culturally responsive and inclusive of all students, acknowledging and valuing their multiple and intersecting identities and experiences.
- Staffing: Professional development will be held at a time suitable for teachers/staff with limited disruption and minimal back fill for staff. Teachers are encouraged to actively participate in student workshops and community conversations. Initial and ongoing discussions with relevant school staff to tailor programming is strongly encouraged and a core aspect of the whole-school program.
- Training requirements: One 2 hour online or in-person professional development for teachers and school staff. In-person workshops will require access to a space with moveable chairs and tables, Wi-Fi and audio-visual technology to display videos and online workshops will require participants to have access to a device, Wi-Fi and private space.
- Factors to consider: A minimum of 10 staff are required for professional development sessions. Student workshops can accommodate 10-90 students (maximum of 30 students per workshop). Parent and community conversations can accommodate 10-30 family members.
- Australian context: Reverb has been developed for and evaluated with culturally diverse young people in Australia.
Reverb can be delivered across a whole school term at a basic price of $9,639.30 (inc. GST). This includes teacher professional development, student workshops, parent and community conversations, secondary consultation and support.
Schools are able to alter the frequency and mix of sessions which may change pricing.