Peer observation aims to support the sharing of practice, and builds self-awareness about the impact of one's teaching practice in order to affect change.
Using peer observation
- Teacher self-reflection: Self-reflection informs future peer observation activities.
- Pre observation conversation: Underpinned by supportive and collaborative whole-school protocols and developmental approach.
- Peer observation: Teachers learning from one another, building a shared understanding of effective practice.
- Teacher and observer reflection: Provides an opportunity for structured feedback and reflection, based on agreed criteria with a focus on progressing student learning.
- Post observation conversation: Implementation of new strategies and improved teaching and learning.
Benefits for teachers
Improve your teaching practice
Peer observation is a developmental opportunity for teachers. Research shows that when done well, peer observation, including feedback and reflection, has a high impact on improving professional practice and can be an important part of a teacher's professional development (DuFour, R., & Eaker, R. E., 1998).
Valuable for both the teacher being observed and the observer
Peer observation can benefit both the teacher being observed and the observer. For the teacher being observed, peer observation provides a valuable opportunity to discuss challenges and successes of teaching practice with trusted colleagues. For the observer, peer observation supports the sharing of ideas and expertise among teachers.
Resources for teachers
To access all peer observation materials, see:
- Professional Practice Note 4: Peer Observation Feedback and Reflection (pdf 185kb)
- Peer Observation, Feedback and Reflection: A Practical Guide for Teachers (pdf 583kb)
Four annotated templates have been developed for teachers. Each template includes steps on working through the template.
- Teacher self-reflection template (pdf 304kb)
- Pre-observation conversation template (pdf 282kb)
- Peer observation template (pdf 30kb)
- Post observation conversation template (pdf 34kb)
- Teacher self-reflection (docx 395kb)
- Pre observation conversation template (docx 397kb)
- Post observation conversation template (docx 396kb)
- Peer observation template (docx 395kb)
For more information, or to share your feedback, email: firstname.lastname@example.org